Thursday, December 10, 2009

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving was a 2 day event this year. My parents decided to celebrate on Wednesday, and Aaron's parents on Thursday. It was rather nice to spend a day with each family, instead of being rushed and trying to make it to two Thanksgiving feasts. It also helped us to not totally gorge ourselves, trying to eat two HUGE meals.

After we ate dinner, Aunt Sherry pulled out a gingerbread house kit for the kiddos to put together. It was so nice. I went and laid down for a nap while Sherry and Grandma Jackie helped my kids get crafty. They spent hours working on the cute little house. It was a fun idea, I am going to try to remember to do it again next year.
Carson and Grandpa enjoyed a little "Tom and Jerry" after the gingerbread house was mostly finished.



The week before Thanksgiving, Morgan decided to take charge and organize a family home evening lesson (since her parents don't seem to have it all together right now!) She read us a story on gratitude and gave each of us a paper and pencil. We were to work on a list of things we are grateful for and them share them with everyone. I was quite impressed with my 10 year old, for taking care of what her mother should be doing.

Paige's list: toys, books, mom, dad, DS, baby, sister, brothers, food, bed, home, friends, bathroom, room. (Let me explain- we are finishing the bathroom in the basement, because that is where the big girls live now.)

Morgan: mom, dad, sister, brother, new brother, books, food, house, room, toys, cousins, clothes, beds, piano lessons, heat, trailer, my family, school, math, dad's job, my teacher, the church, the prophet, temples, cars, swimming pools.

Carson: toys, colors, paint, ice cream, new bathroom, our house, my room, the baby.

Mom: (mine is kinda short, not because I am not grateful, but I was helping the little boy with his list.) family, warm house, the holidays, dishwasher, Aaron's job, peppermint ice cream.

Dad: health, my job, home, corn nuts, love, friendships and family, church, priesthood, testimony,temples, all my kids, 626 (his white little car, that he has had since before we met 15 years ago.)

A little random, I know!! Thanks to Morgan for a fabulous idea!!!

5 comments:

The Michiganders said...

I am so grateful the I get to see you in one week. I am so homesick for those kidos!

♥Seri said...

Sounds like a fun event! Just one question though.... did your kids want to devour the gingerbread house the next day or hours afterwards? We had that problem at our house when I tried to be traditiony and get a house for my kids to decorate, but my candholic 5 yr old wanted to eat the candy while we made it and then the next morning he wanted to start eating the house. I told him his Dad needed to see it before it was destroyed....that didn't last. I'm not sure if I want to get one next year and fight the fight and pay $ for the fight.....I had fun with it though and it looks like your kids did too! Love the grateful lists! Good job Morgan!

Anonymous said...

It was a nice Thanksgiving. And you are right, Morgan is a special young lady. Of course I think all of my grandkids are great.

Gma

Anonymous said...

Did Morgan have "piano lessons" on her thankful list? Rachel has them on her murmuring list.
-Shae

Jackie said...

Glad to have you at our house on Thursday - the gingerbread was fun. Loved your "thankful" list from everyone and I am thankful that Morgan had piano lessons written down! She's awesome! She is a talented and sharp little granddaughter with lots of leadership! Morgan, you rock! All of my grandkids rock!