Friday, February 6, 2009

A little day of traditions

Years ago, my family started a little tradition of heading to Island Park in the middle of the winter to stay in the Yurts at Harriman Park. To my parents, this was a great idea for a family activity. I was a little slower to join them in the excitement. It sounded like a ton a work, and then you have to sleep in a yurt! Not exactly our kind of fun. Although I might not have had the greatest attitude, my opinion of this little activity changed. It was relaxing, and my kids loved it, and especially liked going with the cousins.

Unfortunately, as our family has grown, we no longer can fit in the yurts. We have changed the tradition to a father-daughter (we only had girls in our family for a long time!), day trip to go cross-country skiing. This year my parents talked me into sending Paige for the first time. I was worried she would not be able to keep up with everyone, but she did great and loved it!

It was a beautiful day, and they saw tons of swans in the river.

As tradition goes, we cannot have a ski trip without a mighty duel! at the end. Here is the barricade that everyone made to protect them from the opposing team, Grandpa Rich. I don't understand why no one will be on his team, he just gets attacked by everyone.

My kids look forward to this trip like they look forward to Christmas! Hopefully, someday when all the kiddo's are old enough, maybe the mom's can join in on the trip again as well!

8 comments:

Elena said...

I don't even know what a yurt is? It sounds adventurous though. :)

Holly said...

Haha. I'm with Elena... what is a yurt? It does sound fun and it's fun to say! Looks like it was a perfect day for them to be outdoors, well as perfect as it can be for a wintery day! :)

Head Over Hills said...

They had so much fun that day. I so wish it was summer so that we could all be together agin. Christmas was so much fun!

JANEAL said...

Please tell us what a yurt is. Your family always does fun things outdoors.

Nichelle said...

I am with everyone else what is a yurt? It looks and sounds like they had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Yurts are great. We loved taking the kids and the Dads. It was a beauitful day.

Mom

♥Seri said...

I LOVE traditions -- even though we had hardly any from growing up! What a great tradition you have going on. Very unique, creative, and fun! Looks like there was fun to be had from all!

The Michiganders said...

CAn you believe that we took INFANTS there? We are so freaking adventurous!

Wish we all still fit there. It was a blast.