Friday, September 9, 2011

weekend away

For Aaron’s birthday, we decided it might be nice to sneak away for a night. My parents were kind enough to take our kids for a few days, so we could get away and relax.  We decided to drive the long way to West Yellowstone, by driving through Jackson and Yellowstone Park. 

We first drove through Grand Teton National Park.  We saw 1 little dear, and were lucky enough to drive by a black bear.

IMG_1304

IMG_1327

 IMG_1331

We came into Yellowstone through the south entrance. 

Lewis Falls

IMG_1337

I am sure I have been to most of Yellowstone in my life, but their was so much I didn’t remember.

Upper Falls

IMG_1343 

We walked down to the brink of the Lower Falls.  It was so pretty.  I loved watching that water head right over the falls.     IMG_1354

IMG_1355 

 IMG_1357

  IMG_1359

IMG_1360

IMG_1361

Yellowstone Grand Canyon

IMG_1362 

  IMG_1365 

I didn’t get any pictures, but that Saturday night we went to the Playmill in West Yellowstone, to see the play Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  It was really funny, and we had a great time.  We spent the night in West and then the next day we drove the Yellowstone’s upper loop.

Dunraven Pass

IMG_1367 

Downstream from Tower Falls. 

 IMG_1370

IMG_1371

The Roosevelt Lodge, our lunch spot.

IMG_1373 

The only buffalo we saw in two days of driving in the park.

IMG_1375

Outside of Mammoth Hot Springs

IMG_1377   The  Veteran geyser in the Norris Geyser Basin.

IMG_1378

We had such a nice two days.  It had been a long time since we had traveled without 7 duffel bags, a pack and play, and a diaper bag.  We loved being able to relax, and spend some time by ourselves.  Thanks to my mom, who actually tried to take all 4 kids to church by herself, we really owe you:)

4 comments:

The Michiganders said...

Ok. I am just going to say it. This is starting to look like a post from Mom. :)

But who am I to judge what you do for your anniversary...I went there for my freaking honeymoon.

So glad you were able to "travel light" and spend some quality time together. Let's do a cruise sometime sans children....

♥Seri said...

K I'm totally laughing like crazy at Michelle's comment!!! yellowston anniversary trip....honeymoon....gotta love it!! Glad you two were able to get away for a bit!! Beautiful pics!

becky ward said...

gorgeous pictures! looks like heaven to me!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Shell. Glad you had a good time.