Sunday, October 12, 2008

Remembering Grandpa Lyle

I just looked at my sisters blog, and she posted about my sweet, sweet grandparents! They both died from cancer about 4 years ago, but today is my Grandpa Lyles birthday! As I remember him today, I miss him so much! He truly was the kindest, funniest, and the best example of a Grandpa I have ever seen. It is so hard to narrow down my favorite memories of him, I could write a novel.

I feel very fortunate, that I was able to spend a lot of time with him. They lived in Sacramento, and I was lucky enough to spend a a few months staying with them, for a few summers in a row. I remember my Grandpa as being the most creative person! We would make bamboo houses, he made a golf course in his backyard (complete with a green, that he hand cut with hedging shears!), and we went to San Francisco to baseball games where he fed me my first taste of chinese food (in Chinatown!) I will always remember how I was not bored for a minute at his house. He was always thinking of some crazy thing for us to do.

I remember the Christmas where everyone got a hyper driver (a little battery operated car that went VERY fast!) They were all personalized with our names on them, and after we opened all our presents, we went to my uncles work and raced the cars with my cousins! I still remember that I won the demolition derby, and I received a hand made trophy. My grandpa had made a trophy with The Incredible Hulk, crashing a car into pieces!

I love that I have some video of him with Morgan. Grandpa and Grandma had to move to Idaho, when Morgan was 18 months, because my Grandpa had a stroke and they needed a little bit of help. I know it was a hard move for them, they loved the wonderful weather of California, and it was a hard circumstance. I truly loved it though! I got to watch my sweet grandparents develop a relationship with my little girl. She loved them and loved to visit. Morgan and Grandpa had a funny relationship. They would tease each other, and everytime we would come visit, he had something new for her to do! (Hiding Swiper the Fox, filled with chocolate treats would be my favorite example!)

I will always remember his sheepish grins when he would get in trouble from Grandma, the fact that he loved milkshakes (which meant he was always buying them for all of us!) and what a great example of a loving husband he was. I only hope I can be more like him each day.

5 comments:

Head Over Hills said...

What a sweet tribute. I am so glad you wrote that. It makes me laugh and cry at the same time. I am truly so grateful for all the sweet memories we have of them. We were truly so blessed to have the grandparents we did!

Elena said...

What great memories to have written down forever.

Anonymous said...

That's neat that you have those memories. Grandparents are so special.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to a wonderful man. I think about your Grandma and Grandpa often and wish we could have had more time with them. They were wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that all my kids got to know their grandparents so well. I hope Dad and I will be able to make those memories with all our grandchildren.